Jakarta The government through the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing is looking to supply food and other daily needs to some 100 Indonesian nationals who are still stuck in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. Indonesian Foreign Affairs Minister, Retno Marsudi, received a report from the embassy saying that food and daily necessities availability in Wuhan City � under lockdown by the Chinese government to prevent the coronavirus (2019-nCoV) from spreading � will only last for the next three to five days.
"Therefore, we will immediately supply food and daily necessities to our citizens in Wuhan. When the food supply is running low, of course, everyone will be worried," Minister Marsudi said here Tuesday.
In order to speed up the logistics supply to Wuhan, Indonesian Ambassador to China Djauhari Oratmangun has continued coordinating with local authorities.
"We all must know that Wuhan right now is being locked down, so we cannot easily bring food. All of our movements must be coordinated with the Chinese authorities, including logistics delivery," Marsudi stated.
In addition to food supply, Indonesian citizens also need some more masks whose supplies are running low in the city suffering from the coronavirus outbreak.
The Indonesian Student Association in China has revealed that food and daily needs are so far still available in several shops in Wuhan, although at higher prices.
In response to such conditions, the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinated with the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) for immediate shipment of masks through a flight of Garuda Indonesia airlines to Beijing.
"In Beijing, there is a shipping bureau that has the permission from Chinese authorities to enter Wuhan, and the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing yesterday contacted the shipping bureau to bring in the masks needed by Indonesian citizens," FM Marsudi said.
Some 100 Indonesians, comprising 84 students and 16 student guests from other places, are currently in Wuhan, she further said. Meanwhile, a total of 243 Indonesian citizens are in Hubei Province, the ministry noted.
The Chinese government has isolated Wuhan for about a week and set up some 15 quarantine points in Hubei Province, in response to a new type of the coronavirus outbreak, which has resulted in at least 106 deaths with thousands more being infected.
Source: Antara News