Sriwijaya Air vows to meet rights of families of SJ 182 victims

Jakarta Sriwijaya Air’s management has said it is ensuring it fulfills the rights of the families of victims of flight SJ-182, which crashed while on its way to Pontianak from Jakarta on January 9, 2021.

“We will be committed to providing the rights of the victims as soon as possible,” said Sriwijaya Air president director Jefferson Jauwena after scattering flowers from the KRI Semarang ship on the Seribu Islands waters on Friday.

The process of handing over compensation to the victims’ next of kin was symbolically started on Wednesday (January 20, 2021) in Tanjung Priok, Jakarta.

The families have been provided a compensation of Rp1.25 billion, in accordance with government regulations, and Rp250 million as additional compensation, bringing the total Rp1.5 billion.

The ceremony of scattering of flowers in the waters off Lancang Island and Laki Island on board the KRI Semarang, as a form of final respect to the victims, was attended by around 30 family members of the SJ-182 victims.

The Sriwijaya Air management, representatives from the National Transportation Safety Committee (NTSC), the Ministry of Transportation, the Indonesian Navy, the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas),  state-owned insurance company Jasa Raharja, as well as a number of Sriwijaya Air and Nam Air crew members also attended the ceremony.

“We are grieving under the loss; it is undeniable that we also feel deep sorrow. I personally am also very devastated by this situation,” Jauwena said.

The Sriwijaya Air flight SJ-182 was headed from Jakarta to Pontianak when it lost contact at 2:40 p.m. local time on January 9 , 2021. It was later found to have crashed in the waters off Kepulauan Seribu.

The airplane had taken off from Soekarno Hatta Airport at 2:36 p.m. local time after a delay due to unfavorable weather. The flight had been earlier scheduled to take off at 1:35 p.m. local time.

Based on the flight’s manifest, it was carrying 62 people — 50 passengers and 12 crew members. Of the 50 passengers, there were 40 adults, seven children, and three babies. Meanwhile, the 12 crew comprised six active and six extra crew members.

It has been earlier reported that the search and rescue (SAR) operation for the victims and the wreckage of the flight has been officially ended. The SAR Agency carried out the operation for seven days and extended it by six days.

The joint SAR team collected the remains of the victims in 324 body bags, based on which, the DVI team identified 47 of the victims. (INE)

 

 

Source: Antara News

 

Related posts

Leave a Comment