Health Ministry shoots down rumors of total lockdown in Jakarta

Jakarta – The Indonesian Health Ministry has refuted rumors of Jakarta contemplating a complete lockdown during the weekend, saying messages circulating on messaging apps and social media platforms claiming any such decision are “false and fake”.

 

 

 

The government has so far not issued any policy on a total lockdown in Jakarta and other provinces, director for direct infectious diseases at the Health Ministry, Siti Nadia Tarmizi, informed during an online press conference here on Friday.

 

 

 

Therefore, messages claiming that “the people must stay at home; all shops and restaurants will be shut down; the people are suggested to store food stocks; and, people will be captured, tested, and fined” are a hoax, she said.

 

 

 

At present, the government has enforced public activity restrictions (PPKM) in Java and Bali Islands until February 8, 2021, Tarmizi noted.

 

 

 

The government will re-evaluate its PPKM policy to decide whether the period should be extended again by another 14 days, or should the policy be relaxed, she informed.

 

 

 

She also appealed to the public to stay calm and ignore the rumors. For those who have created and spread the rumors, they must stop doing that, she added.

 

 

 

All sections of society are advised to rely on credible information provided on the government’s official websites, including Kemenkes.go.id and covid19.go.id, she said.

 

 

 

People are also advised to continue practicing the 3M health protocols — wearing face masks, maintaining the recommended physical distance, and washing hands — as well as avoid crowds and restrict mobility, she added.

 

 

 

This month, the health protocols need to be practiced more strictly, particularly during the upcoming Imlek (Chinese lunar year) holiday season, she said.

 

 

 

In connection with the imposition of PPKM policy in Indonesia’s capital city, Jakarta Deputy Governor Ahmad Riza Patria said recently that the Jakarta provincial administration has been coordinating with the central government to create a pertinent formula for imposing the third phase of PPKM after the second phase ends on February 8, 2021.

 

 

 

Responding to the ineffective enforcement of the PPKM, which was initially kicked off by the government on January 11, 2021 and was later extended from January 26 to February 8, Patria urged the public to continue to practice health protocols.

 

 

 

People’s participation in preventing potential COVID-19 infections in the community is indispensable, he said and stressed on the public practicing measures such as mask wearing, hand washing, house cleaning, and disinfecting.

 

Source: Antara News

Related posts

Leave a Comment