One Million Houses Program: Over 164,000 homes built in Q1

A total of 164,071 homes were built in the first quarter of 2021 under the One Million Houses program, according to the Public Works and Public Housing Ministry.

“The One Million Houses program, as of the first quarter, or March 31, 2021, has built 164,071 units across Indonesia,” the ministry’s director general of housing, Khalawi Abdul Hamid, said here on Wednesday.

Of the total units, he said, 146,766 homes are meant for low-income communities (MBR) and 17,305 homes are for non-MBR beneficiaries.

According to Hamid, of the one million houses targeted to be constructed under the program, 70 percent would be earmarked for people from the low-income group and the remaining 30 percent for people with higher incomes (non-MBR).

Hamid also urged the country’s engineers to support infrastructure and public housing development programs, especially the One Million Houses program.

“The support of engineers in the development of infrastructure and public housing is highly needed by the nation. We call on Indonesian engineers to support the One Million Houses program,” he said.

In 2020, owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, the One Million Houses Program had failed to meet the target of building 1 million units, with construction only reaching 965,217 units, or 96.5 percent completion, of which approximately 80 percent homes were allocated to people from the low-income group, he informed.

The One Million Houses Program was launched in 2015 as a joint movement by all housing stakeholders, including the central government, housing developers, banks, private companies, and the public, with the collective aim of overcoming the housing backlog in Indonesia. (INE)

 

Source: Antara News

Related posts

Leave a Comment

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.