Mamuju, S Sulawesi (ANTARA) – The Indonesian Government has decided to extend the emergency response period for disaster mitigation status in Mamuju and Majene Districts, West Sulawesi Province, for two weeks from January 28, according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB).
“Based on the the directives from the BNPB Chief, the emergency response status that will end on January 28 is to be extended for two weeks,” Rifai, Deputy for Rehabilitation and Reconstruction of BNPB, said here on Saturday.
The joint search and rescue team has completed the evacuation process, but the emergency status needed to be extended for further handling of refugee problems, including concerning health issue and technical matters, according to him.
“The status has become an emergency response towards recovery,” Rifai said.
West Sulawesi Governor Ali Baal Masdar declared an emergency response status until January 28, 2021, after a 6.2 shallow earthquake rocked Mamuju and Majene Districts on January 15, 2021.
The natural disaster has displaced 89,624 residents, claimed 93 lives, rendered three people missing, and seriously injured 746 people, moderately injured 240, and slightly injured 2,703 others.
In the meantime, Indonesia had been stricken by a total of 197 natural disasters during the January 1-23 period, according to data of BNPB. Most of those disasters were hydrometeorological disasters, the agency wrote on its official Twitter account on Saturday.
The disasters comprising 134 floods, 31 landslides, and 24 whirlwinds, claimed 184 lives, injured, 2,700 people, rendered nine people missing, and affected or displaced 1.9 million people.
In January 2020, during the same period, BNPB recorded 297 natural disasters that claimed 91 lives across Indonesia.
Source: Antara News